Baking great bread is a matter of using the right type of ingredients associated with the right baking techniques. If you’re familiar with it, then rest assured that you can definitely create not only perfect bread but also the most flavorful bread recipes. Well, apart from the right type of flour, good conditioner of dough and bakers thermometer, it is always necessary to understand the best use of yeast in your bread baking process.
Yeast is alive. Yes, you heard it right, this ingredient for making bread is alive. It is not an animal or a plant but it is a fungus. This is added to the flour at its dormant state and thrives to offer the bread dough proper temperature and moisture. Under proper conditions, yeast cells feed on the sugar and they continue to multiply. One loaf of bread which is prepared to be bake in the oven contained millions of cells of yeast.
As the yeast cells are fed, they primarily expel alcohol and carbon dioxide. After that, the carbon dioxide will rise all throughout the bread dough to form into air cells. The excretions and alcohol will then impart yeasty flavor into the dough. Professional bread bakers are usually manipulating alcohol and carbon dioxide ration with acidity and temperature to control the flavor and rise of time of the bread.
Now, that you’re already aware on how yeast works during the baking process of breads, it is now the time for you to grab an opportunity learning at least one food recipe that makes use of yeast as an ingredient.
Scandinavian Rye Bread Recipe
- 175 ml of full fat milk
- 175 ml of water
- 2 teaspoon of caraway seed
- Sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoon of soft and dark brown sugar
- 1×7 gram sachet of fast action type of dry yeast (Saf Instant – yeast for baking)
- 1 tablespoon of fine sea salt
- 200 gram of rye flour
- Put the water, sugar and milk into the saucepan. Heat it in a very gently manner while continuously stirring it into few seconds until it turned into lukewarm liquid and the sugar content had already dissolved. Then, remove the used pan from the heat. Pour the created mixture into your bowl.
- Stir in yeast ingredients and leave it for about ten minutes until a light froth of floating is observed in the surface.
- Put the rye, white, and flour into a large and clean bowl. Stir caraway seeds and salt then create a well on the center. Pour the yeast mixture on the flour and mix it using wooden spoon as well as your hands to form spongy and soft dough.
- Knead the dough for about ten minutes until it became elastic and smooth.
- Put the dough into lightly oiled and large bowl and cover it loosely with an oiled cling type of film. Leave the dough to rise for about one and a half hour or until it already doubled its size.
- Place the dough in a floured working surface and try to knead it for about a few minutes.
- Shape it into round loaf or fat oval loaf by pulling it into the sides and on top.
- Place the created loaf in a baking tray which is lined with the baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven for about 180 degree Celsius and bake it at about 40 minutes until the bread had already risen.